Founded in 1999, SurveyMonkey changed the way people gather feedback by making it easy for anyone to create their own online surveys. Today, SurveyMonkey’s mission is to power curious individuals and organizations to measure, benchmark and act on the opinions that drive success. Our People Powered Data platform enables conversations at scale to deliver impactful customer, employee and market insights. The company’s 700+ employees are dedicated to fueling the curiosity of over 16 million active users globally. For more information about SurveyMonkey, please visit surveymonkey.com.
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Internationalization Engineer who has a passion for everything global and desire to help the company grow internationally.
We are looking for an engineer who possesses a rare mix of exceptional design/coding expertise and strong collaboration skills. The ideal candidate will be passionate about improving SurveyMonkey’s product experience for international customers.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing best practices and improving the foundations of international support for SurveyMonkey developers to scale their products to the world. You will design, implement and promote common libraries, develop proper unicode data models, investigate problems, and optimize for speed and size.
In addition to coding, this position includes a significant cross-functional component. You will interact with many teams at SurveyMonkey and will need to be an effective diplomat with strong communication and training skills. If you are interested in being part of a growing company with ambitious goals, apply today!
- Push our internationalization (i18n) platform forward - enhancing performance, minimizing engineering work, and simplifying the workflow
- Evangelize i18n best practices internally - raise awareness, train and educate the engineering team
- Ensure that language and local market requirements are understood and supported from a technical perspective
- Work on full-stack, help our developers customize the way they support hundreds of countries and cultures using our product.
- Work with localization program managers to continually improve the existing product and marketing localization delivery pipeline with a focus on upstream ease of development
- Collaborate with other engineers to create solid and robust code.
- Build frameworks and common international libraries that can be used across all SurveyMonkey developers
- Evaluate and report on key technology and tools that will contribute to the localization team’s process improvements
- Create innovative and cool ways to automate localization process and ensure high-quality localized interfaces in all supported languages
- You know the difference between internationalization, localization, translation, and transcreation, and have strong opinions on best practices for each.
- You know that an international technical strategy is not just the sum of the above.
- You have built or helped build a multi-language website
- Strong technical understanding of Unicode, internationalization and localization.
- You are highly organized. You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are familiar with translation management/memory tools.
- You have a strong background in i18n infrastructure and performance.
- Innovator with good ideas, strong problem solving abilities and a results oriented attitude.
- Team player who works well across cross-functional teams
- Experience building an end-to-end globalization platform
- You have a deep familiarity of one or more languages other than English – not necessarily fluent, but understanding the different formatting, structures and things to be aware of in an i18n context.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to do internationalization training
- Continuous integration & continuous deployment of localized product experience desirable
- You have a computer science degree or equivalent experience.
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.