Posted: October 29, 2014
Effective date: December 10, 2014
European Safe Harbors. SurveyMonkey Inc. complies with the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information from EU member countries and Switzerland. We have certified, and TRUSTe has verified, that we adhere to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. View our certification on the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor website.
Key Privacy Points: The Stuff You Really Care About
- Your survey data is owned by you. Not only that, but SurveyMonkey treats your surveys as if they were private. We don’t sell them to anyone and we don’t use the survey responses you collect for purposes unrelated to you or our services, except in a limited set of circumstances (e.g. if we are compelled by a subpoena, or if you’ve given us permission to do so).
- We safeguard respondents’ email addresses. To make it easier for you to invite people to take your surveys via email, you may upload lists of email addresses, in which case SurveyMonkey acts as a mere custodian of that data. We don’t sell these email addresses and we use them only as directed by you and in accordance with this policy. The same goes for any email addresses collected by your surveys.
- We hold your data securely. Read our Security Statement for more information.
- Are your responses anonymous? This depends on how the survey creator has configured the survey. Contact them to find out, or click here to read more about respondent anonymity.
Survey Creators & Survey Respondents
- What information does SurveyMonkey collect?
When you use SurveyMonkey, we collect information relating to you and your use of our services from a variety of sources. These are listed below. The sections afterward describe what we do with this information.
Information we collect directly from you
We don’t share or abuse your respondents’ email addresses. Rest assured, SurveyMonkey will not email your survey respondents or people in your Address Book except at your direction. We definitely don’t sell those email addresses to any third parties.
- Registration information. You need a SurveyMonkey account before you can create surveys on SurveyMonkey. When you register for an account, we collect your username, password and email address. If you choose to register by using a third party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), please see “Information from third parties” below.
- Billing information. If you make a payment to SurveyMonkey, we require you to provide your billing details, such as a name, address, email address and financial information corresponding to your selected method of payment (e.g. a credit card number and expiration date or a bank account number). If you provide a billing address, we will regard that as the location of the account holder.
- Account settings. You can set various preferences and personal details on pages like your account settings page. For example, your default language, timezone and communication preferences (e.g. opting in or out of receiving marketing emails from SurveyMonkey).
- Address book information. We allow you to import email addresses into an Address Book and associate email addresses with email invitation collectors so you can easily invite people to take your surveys via email. We don’t use these email addresses for our own purposes or email them except at your direction.
- Survey data. We store your survey data (questions and responses) for you.
- Other data you intentionally share. We may collect your personal information or data if you submit it to us in other contexts. For example, if you provide us with a testimonial, or participate in a SurveyMonkey contest.
Information we collect about you indirectly or passively when you interact with us
- Usage data. We collect usage data about you whenever you interact with our services. This may include which webpages you visit, what you click on, when you performed those actions, and so on. Additionally, like most websites today, our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers. The log files contain data about the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses.
- Device data. We collect data from the device and application you use to access our services, such as your IP address and browser type. We may also infer your geographic location based on your IP address.
- Referral data. If you arrive at a SurveyMonkey website from an external source (such as a link on another website or in an email), we record information about the source that referred you to us.
- Information from third parties. We may collect your personal information or data from third parties if you give permission to those third parties to share your information with us. For example, you have the option of registering and signing into SurveyMonkey with your Facebook account details. If you do this, the authentication of your logon details is handled by Facebook and we only collect information about your Facebook account that you expressly agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your SurveyMonkey account to be linked to your Facebook account.
- Information from page tags. We use third party tracking services that employ cookies and page tags (also known as web beacons) to collect aggregated and anonymized data about visitors to our websites. This data includes usage and user statistics.
- How does SurveyMonkey use the information we collect?
We treat your survey questions and responses as information that is private to you.
- To provide you with our services.
- This includes providing you with customer support, which requires us to access your information to assist you (such as with survey design and creation or technical troubleshooting).
- Certain features of our services use the content of your survey questions and responses and your account information in additional ways. Feature descriptions will clearly identify where this is the case. You can avoid the use of your survey data in this way by simply choosing not to use such features. For example, by using our Question Bank feature, to add questions to your surveys, you also permit us to aggregate the responses you receive to those questions with responses received by other Question Bank users who have used the same questions. We may then report statistics about the aggregated (and de-identified) data sent to you and other survey creators.
- If you choose to link your SurveyMonkey account to a third party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), we may use the information you allow us to collect from those third parties to provide you with additional features, services, and personalized content.
- To manage our services. We internally use your information, including certain survey data, for the following limited purposes:
- To monitor, maintain, and improve our services and features. We internally perform statistical and other analysis on information we collect (including usage data, device data, referral data, question and response data and information from page tags) to analyze and measure user behavior and trends, to understand how people use our services, and to monitor, troubleshoot and improve our services, including to help us evaluate or devise new features. We may use your information for internal purposes designed to keep our services secure and operational, such as for troubleshooting and testing purposes, and for service improvement, marketing, research and development purposes.
- To prevent potentially illegal activities.
- To screen for and prevent undesirable or abusive activity. For example, we have automated systems that screen content for phishing activities, spam, and fraud.
- To create new services, features or content (public data and metadata only). We may use your survey data and survey metadata (that is, data about the characteristics of a survey) for our internal purposes to create and provide new services, features or content. In relation to survey metadata, we may look at statistics like response rates, question and answer word counts, and the average number of questions in a survey and publish interesting observations about these for informational or marketing purposes. When we do this, neither individual survey creators nor survey respondents will be identified or identifiable unless we have obtained their permission.
- To facilitate account creation and the logon process. If you choose to link your SurveyMonkey account to a third party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), we use the information you allowed us to collect from those third parties to facilitate the account creation and login process. For more information, click here.
- To contact you about your service or account. We occasionally send you communications of a transactional nature (e.g. service-related announcements, billing-related matters, changes to our services or policies, a welcome email when you first register). You can’t opt out of these communications since they are required to provide our services to you.
- To contact you for marketing purposes. We will only do this if you have consented to our contacting you for this purpose. For example, during the account registration process we will ask for your permission to use your information to contact you for promotional purposes. You may opt out of these communications at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in them, or changing the relevant setting on your My Account page.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- With whom do we share or disclose your information?
We don’t sell your survey data, unless you expressly permit us to!When might we disclose your survey data to third parties? Only for a limited number of reasons. We share your information with our service providers who help us to provide our services to you. We contractually bind these service providers to keep your information confidential and to use it only for the purpose of providing their services. For example, we use payment processors who help us to process credit card transactions. By using our services, you authorize SurveyMonkey to sub-contract in this manner on your behalf.In rare circumstances, we may share information if required by law, or in a corporate restructuring or acquisition context (see below for more details).Sharing your surveys with the public. By default, your surveys are private. You are able to control who can take your survey by changing your collector settings. For example, surveys can be made completely public (and indexable by search engines), password protected, or distributed to a restricted list of people. You can also choose to share your survey responses instantly or at a public location.
We may disclose:
- Your email address to your organization. If the email address under which you’ve registered your account belongs to or is controlled by an organization, we may disclose that email address to that organization in order to help it understand who associated with that organization uses SurveyMonkey, and to assist the organization with its enterprise accounts. (Please do not use a work email address for our services unless you are authorized to do so, and are therefore comfortable with this disclosure.)
- Aggregated or de-identified information to third parties to improve or promote our services. No individuals can reasonably be identified or linked to any part of the information we share with third parties to improve or promote our services.
- Your information if required or permitted by law. We may disclose your information as required or permitted by law, or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena, or other legal process served on us.
- Your information if there’s a change in business ownership or structure. If ownership of all or substantially all of our business changes, or we undertake a corporate reorganization (including a merger or consolidation) or any other action or transfer between SurveyMonkey entities, you expressly consent to SurveyMonkey transferring your information to the new owner or successor entity so that we can continue providing our services. If required, SurveyMonkey will notify the applicable data protection agency in each jurisdiction of such a transfer in accordance with the notification procedures under applicable data protection laws.
- Information you expressly consent to be shared. For example, we may expressly request your permission to provide your contact details to third parties for various purposes, including to allow those third parties to contact you for marketing purposes. (You may later revoke your permission, but if you wish to stop receiving communications from a third party to which we provided your information with your permission, you will need to contact that third party directly.)
- What are your rights to your information?
- Update your account details. You can update your registration and other account information on your My Account page. Information is updated immediately.
- Access and correct your personal information. You may access and correct the personal information that SurveyMonkey holds about you. This right may be exercised by visiting your My Account page or by contacting customer support[sm_helpcenter]. This right is subject to some exceptions, such as where giving you access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals. We will respond to your request for access or correction within a reasonable time and, where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will provide access to your personal information in the manner requested by you.</li> <li><strong>Download/backup your survey data.</strong> Depending on what subscription plan you have, we provide you with the ability to export, share and publish your survey data in a variety of formats. This allows you to create your own backups or conduct offline data analysis. [sm_helpcenter url="http://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/How-do-I-download-my-survey-results?"]See here for downloading instructions.
- Delete your survey data. Deleting survey data in the ways described on this page will not permanently delete survey data immediately. As long as you maintain an account with us, we may retain your deleted data for a limited time in case you delete something by accident and need to restore it (which you can request by contacting customer support[sm_helpcenter]). To the extent permitted by law, we will permanently delete your data if you request to cancel your account. However, if your data was previously made available to the public through a public link, additional copies of your data may remain available on the Internet even after your account has been deleted.</li> <li><strong>Cancel your account.</strong> To cancel and delete your account, please contact [sm_helpcenter url="http://help.surveymonkey.com/contact-us"]customer support[sm_helpcenter]. Deleting your account will cause all the survey data in the account to be permanently deleted from our systems within a reasonable time period, as permitted by law, and will disable your access to any other services that require a SurveyMonkey account. We will respond to any such request, and any appropriate request to access, correct, update or delete your personal information within the time period specified by law (if applicable) or without excessive delay. We will promptly fulfill requests to delete personal data unless the request is not technically feasible or such data is required to be retained by law (in which case we will block access to such data, if required by law).</li> </ul> <div class="d-box"> <div class="con red-star"><strong>For how long do we retain your data?</strong> We generally retain your data for as long as you have an account with us, or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our agreements. Data that is deleted from our servers may remain as residual copies on offsite backup media for up to approximately 12 months afterward. We describe our retention practices in more detail [sm_helpcenter url="http://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/For-how-long-does-SurveyMonkey-retain-my-data?"]in this FAQ